Saturday, March 26, 2005

Three powers of Nature. Rain. Wind. Mel.

When I awoke this morning the rain was so loud on the tin roof that I thought we must be in the path of an oncoming freighter. When I looked out the windows I wondered how the rain could make that much noise since it was raining sideways and the great Northwest Pines, were bowing so low they look like they were trying to dust off their feet. And I thought to myself "self, nine miles this morning, I don't think so".

So I had some breakfast and a soda and took the advice of the Rains Gods and quilted instead. Around noon the weather had calmed down to a constant drizzle, minus the wind and the runner in me, got the better of the quilter. I arranged for Ama and Poppa to watch the little shnooker for me. Because the mother in me outvoted the runner on taking the tyke on a cold, wet nine miler.

The Weather gods were cruel and around the seven mile mark I was running in concrete boots and I was beat. Lucky for me Ama and Poppa came looking for me, (I had estimated my nine miler to take me 1:45ish, since my eight miler took me 1:32 do you think it was the soda?) and I jumped in the truck because I was done. Done, Done, put a fork in me done.

Only eight miles and in 1:37 (five minutes longer than last 8 miler) I couldn't get below eleven minute miles and around mile five I slumped into 13 minute miles. I have to admit though that some recent posts kept me going, include this one from Diana.

So I'd like to give a big shout out to my Running Blog Family. You rock. And in reality I'm pretty happy with today because I haven't run since Monday. Only two weeks till the Whidbye Half!

Today's run made me think of a very rainy day in Hawaii a few years back and very wet wait at the bus stop.
Here is a picture of Mad Quilter Mel. (on the left, I'm in the middle, nice huh?)It is my most favorite picture of mel (that can be posted on the internet). Here we are on a bus in Hawaii (1/03) with a very strange man. He liked us because we were singing show tunes. Well, I was singing show tunes, mostly to keep from having to talk to him or give him money. This bus ride went on and on and on. Their was a lot of singing. It was a very. Long. Ride.

Look how supportive Mel is of this plan! Uh. Yeah.

Mel lives in Chicago, it is very sad because we miss her very much at our quilting bees, and when I say we, I mean my sister misses her very much. She was always there to keep me in line. SOME BODY HAS TOO! I’ve been know to demote my sister to baking cookies because her stitches were crooked or dump her underwear out in the foyer to help her repack it RIGHT! Okay, these maybe extreme instances but it is important to give Mel full credit as someone who can tactfully re-direct me into the proper place. “Brit, back away from the suitcase”

Some days, I could really use Mel. And I miss her all days.

2 comment(s):

  • Pines? Are you sure they weren't western hemlocks, douglas firs, and western red cedars?

    Good on ya for getting it up to go running! Some days when it's the hardest to run I find the run the most rewarding.


    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/28/2005 09:58:00 AM  

  • IT'S TRUE MEL!! I MISS YOU!!! Please come back soon.

    By Blogger Ren, at 3/28/2005 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home