Thursday, March 24, 2005

Popcorn isn't a food group?

Lazy Daze --this mini vacation from running is really nice. I've been sleeping in until 7:30 (unheard of on training days) The baby is going down around 7:30-8pm and sleeping all night. We are a well rested bunch here! Maybe too well rested. I think I better get out and run today, I'm thinking four miler, although my throat is still scratchy, but we have to do something befoe jumping into a nine miler this weekend!

So with The Man out of the picture away there is a dilemma. What to eat. His parents are away too, so they won’t feed me. I have a confession: I can’t cook (shhhhhh!) Okay, I can cook, I just don’t like too. Well it’s not that I don’t like too. But it scares me. The man always says that left to my own devices I would just eat popcorn and bread.

Okay that may be true.

The daily phone call or email home from The Man entitled “what’s for dinner” has been known to send me into a tailspin. What does he mean? Does he mean “why can’ t you be more like my mom (or dad) and cook dinner for me? “ does he mean “*sigh* have you even thought about what we are eating for dinner or do I have to subsist on beer and cheerios, AGAIN?” or does he mean “Should I even bother asking or should I just go to the drive through on my way home.” Usually of course he means, “what’s for dinner?”.

He (and his mom) are pretty good with the subtle hints though ( I think I’ve gotten a cook book for every single holiday for the last seven years. Some of which I’ve opened. (that’s how I know who they’re from, my mother-in-law always writes endearing messages in the front of every book she gives, she’s a librarian…what can you do?) But I digress, Again…..weird.

Last night, as I sat looking at Mr. Moo realizing that we could not eat popcorn for the next four nights, I had an epiphany…I would cook! And I would not be afraid! And I would probably feel pretty good about it.

So I made chicken ala king on freshly baked bread (I can do somethings without fear)for me, and oatmeal for The Buddy. He ate all of his oatmeal and half of my chicken ala king. It was amazing. It was fantastic. It was. Dinner.

Too bad The Man missed it. It could happen again. Probably.

3 comment(s):

  • Popcorn rocks! It's low fat, high in fiber, and it's really filling.. Plus the air popper is endless fascinating to watch.

    Could always try Girl Scout Cookies, though... Brynne swears by them.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/25/2005 08:48:00 AM  

  • Up North, we got all the fixing last night for a nice healthy chicken ceasar and then ended up eating polish sausages on baked rolls with slabs of greasy cheddar melted on top. I'm going to die before age fifty.

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 3/25/2005 09:10:00 AM  

  • My man's been gone too. I've mostly had hotdogs or cereal for dinner.

    By Blogger Kasmira, at 3/26/2005 04:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home