Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Snot Quilt

Here is a picture of the Snot Quilt. As in "it is so cold there that the snot actually freezes in your nose". As I was commenting to a fellow blogger today, we Pacific Northwesterners are really spoiled. It's pretty much fifty to sixty degrees here, all the time. And while that stinks in the summer it is not so bad in the winter.

So as I prepared for my freshman year at college on the East side of the state where apparently it snows. Regularly. I feared for my precious tootsies. Having been a member of 4-H for many years I decided to make a heavy duty quilt.

And while is wasn't my first quilt (that 's a whole other story, and sadly it includes Michael Jackson..um, yeah) and it's sure not pretty, it was the first quilt I used on a bed, and it was darn toasty.

Snot Quilt Posted by Hello


Now as you can see, it is relegated to the floor, to pad the tumbles of the Buddy. One thing I have learned from having the snot Quilt on the floor, is that babies LOVE tied quilts. All those years of hand quilting baby quilts, only to find out now that they love the ties!!

He spends hours babbling and stroking the multi colored ties. Who knew?

4 comment(s):

  • It has definitely been a shock to my system to experience Ohio winters (after living in Longview, then Arizona, then Okinawa). There is nothing like stepping outside on a cold morning, inhaling, and feeling your boogers freeze!

    By Blogger Kasmira, at 1/06/2005 04:57:00 AM  

  • Great quilt!

    It's so funny - I used to meticulously quilt my baby quilts, nice smooth edges, on ties, etc., so they'd be snuggly and soft, and when I did a raggy quilt for someone's toddler, it was amazing - babies are all "look! things to grab on to! this is so cool!".

    Who knew?


    By Blogger mintyfresh, at 1/12/2005 10:51:00 AM  

  • Isn't it crazy? no more tedious hand quilted quilts for me, I'm tying all those baby quilts....except I like quilting!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2005 02:37:00 PM  

  • God, I love frozen boogers - they're so portable!

    No, really, I've enjoyed sleeping under that quilt. The first house we lived in had an elevated space we called a loft. I can remember many happy nights up there under that old quilt. Playing with my son on it now is a bonus.

    I can actually remember the baby quilt my god-mother made for me, and it was tied. It was thin denim three inch squares on the back with a similar one square border on the front and then different colored 70's paisley blocks in a checkered pattern in the interior of the front. The ties were a synthetic yarn of some sort that by my last memory of the quilt at about age nine had worn down to little nubbins. By then the quilt had become a cape so who knows.

    SD


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 1/13/2005 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home