Monday, March 14, 2005

Denim Themes

I ran my 4.5 miles today, I ran out of time for the last half mile (my ride got there early) but I felt confident that I could have completed the run, that counts right?


I'm having a theme week, because I have softies, and March's BOM to make this week as well as piece a top for our Mad Quilter's meeting this weekend, (Yeah! It feels like forever since I've quilted) get the Mad Quilter's monthly out, and oh yeah write a paper today, and tomorrow. I LOVE finals!

Themes make life easier for everyone, this weeks theme DENIM QUILTS! Here we see the first denimn quilt I made, for sister Ren. It started innocently enough, I really like the doile in the center so I fastened it to a hexagon of denim. Then I cut out hexagons from my grandmother's wedding dress. A theme I carried over to the velvet twilight quilt I made for my other sister.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. This was my first conscious endeavor into quilting, and it was hard! I hand sewed most of the hexagons because I just couldn't figure out a technique for the sewing machine that wasn't start/stop start/stop start/stop.

Ultimately the wedding dress silk did not hold up to the heavier denim well, and was later replaced with other denim about 4 years later. However it may have lasted longer if my sister didn't let her cats sleep on the quilt because they damanged the silk beyond normal wear and tear.

Once you give away a quilt though you have to let it all go, AND I'M SO GOOD AT THAT!

One last thing before I start (ack!) my paper. For those quilters pursuing this blog, here is another excellent quilter' blog. Zoey's Perennial Passion. I'm excited because I keep finding new ones! If you are lurking around this blog you should DE LURK because I love visiting new blogs!

7 comment(s):

  • Hey! I use the quilt what can I say... I love it and so did the cats, and dog. hmmm.. I am trying to save it but i just love it so much... maybe I will retire it for a while now that I no longer need the heavy warmth that i did in Ellensburg. It has been my favorite for almost 8 years now and is holding up well.. other than the wedding dress part. =)

    By Blogger Ren, at 3/14/2005 11:59:00 AM  

  • Hey did you notice this is the quilt in my banner? It's almost like lauren put a picture of her own quilt on my banner...huh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2005 04:08:00 PM  

  • Love the quilt. Wish I had the time....Dawn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2005 04:14:00 PM  

  • Love the quilt. Wish I had the time....Dawn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2005 04:15:00 PM  

  • Love the quilt. Wish I had the time....Dawn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2005 04:17:00 PM  

  • Love the quilt. Wish I had the time.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 3/14/2005 04:36:00 PM  

  • Sorry Brit...seems I accidently commented multiple times. Blogger has been giving me grief as anonymous so I broke down and got an account.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 3/14/2005 04:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home