Wednesday, March 30, 2005

This just in.....

This just in, right as I finished this post. Mr. Moo threw up SPECTACULARLY all over. After a call to the pediatrician I've got him bathed, drinking apple juice and you guesseder chester, watching baby Einstein. poor little guy.


Frac keeps watch

*****Original Post****

Mr. Moo and I slept in until 8:15 this morning, our whirlwind of activity over the past few days finally caught up with us. It was everything I thought it could be.

The woodstove is fixed, we have heat again. Life is good.

Speaking of good, Quilt group last night was Great! The Stitch in Time group have been together for about twenty years and they are hilarious. Last night’s project was ‘self portraits’. We were told to bring five contrasting fabrics and scissors to cut fusible with (you don’t want to get that stuff on your good scissors).

We started out by drawing a self portrait on paper, and then we traced it on to fiv different pieces of fusible. There was quite a bit of moaning about this part, because as I pointed out, I am traditional quilter because you use squares and triangles and I can’t draw. As the leader pointed it out “we’re thinking outside the box” . I am always amazed how different people are, and at how I never have my camera with me when I need it. The self portraits were amazing, creative and beautiful. I wish I had more than mine to show you.

The next step was to iron the fusible to the fabric, then you cut out each piece, hair, neck, face, background, shoulders. Then you moved them around so that you had one of each color together in a square.

Very Andy Warhol. But very easy. In fact several of us thought it would be a good kid project. This is what mine looked like in about an hour, the idea is to go home and embellish them with faces and satin stitch around the edges to keep the fusible in place.

Since we each made five, and four is a logical wall hanging. I suggested that we all put our extra self portrait together in a Stitch in Time Quilt “guess who” quilt to display at our local guilds Quilt Show that is held every two years. The group thought it was a great idea, and guess who is in charge…yeah, can’t keep my mouth shut ever…can I?

Lots more news from Stitch in Time group, but I've got puke to clean up, so it will have to wait.

8 comment(s):

  • sorry to hear that Mr. Moo is not feeling well. I hope he is better soon.

    By Blogger Diana LaMarre, at 3/30/2005 11:42:00 AM  

  • that self portrait thing is interesting. I will be watching to see how you embellish yours.

    By Blogger Diana LaMarre, at 3/30/2005 11:44:00 AM  

  • I think they already look cool without faces stitched in. The one in the upper left is particularly interesting. It looks like she had temporarily stepped out of her life, leaving her hair and dress and everything, but where she should be there is only blue sky.

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 3/30/2005 01:42:00 PM  

  • That self-portrait quilt is a great idea. I'm not sure how well I'd do at drawing an image of myself, but maybe I can trace the shadow of my profile. I look forward to seeing how you finish it.

    By Blogger Dallas, at 3/30/2005 03:11:00 PM  

  • Awww, poor little guy! And poor mama! I hope he's feeling tip top soon. Your portraits are great and I LOVE the guild portrait quilt idea. That's gonna be great!

    By Blogger Kate, at 3/30/2005 03:49:00 PM  

  • Sorry to hear that Mr. Moo isn't feeling well. We experienced the sick-baby-with-a-105-degree-fever fun last week.. He'll be in our prayers and hope he feels better soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2005 08:39:00 PM  

  • Yuck - poor Mr. Moo. Hope he feels better soon.

    Your portrait sqaures are beautiful Brit! I am so inspired by them and I don't even quilt! Really, really lovely idea.


    By Blogger two rabbits, at 3/30/2005 08:52:00 PM  

  • thanks for you comments everyone, the little guy sure appreciates them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2005 03:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home