Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sweat Pea

My friend, SweetPea (not her real name) and I have an ongoing competition. It's called the "My in-laws are better than your in-laws" competition. It can get pretty hairy at times. Both set of grandparents provide unending babysitting, since both SweetPea and her Man and The man and I are in school. That is reallyimportant when you are stay at home mom, Grandparents who want to visit a lot! Because that means you might get to go to the bathroom BY YOUR SELF! at some point during the day. Like when grandpa comes by to take Mr. Moo for a walk.

Privacy in the potty. How novel.

So SweetPea and I go on about how much we adore our in-laws. Like the time that SweetPea and her husband decided, on a whim, to sell their house, and put a sign in their yard at 8am, and the house was sold by 2pm and they had to be out in a week, and her in-laws said, "of course you can live with us". Or like the time my in laws picked me up from work and took me out to dinner on their anniversery because someone had stolen my car.

Speaking of cars...

Apparently yesterday, Sweetpea borrowed her father in law's pick up to run a few errands, including driving out of town to the dump. She returned home to her hole in the ground I mean house they are building with her two year old asleep in the cab. Her father and her spoke briefly about some construction zone stuff, and then the electrician emerged from the house.

Sweetpea called to him "did we pass our electrical inspection?"
and he replied "I think your truck is on fire."

Sweetpea turned and in horror saw that her father in law's truck was smoking. She rushed the cab to retrieve her daughter, while her father ran around the other side to get her diaperbag and purse, but the door had already melted shut!

The electrician dialed 911.

On the phone this morning she says to me "I swear, not fifteen seconds later flames started licking the bottom of the truck". Clutching her baby to her, she and the growing crowd of onlookers backed away from the truck.

And then.

It. Exploded. The truck. Exploded. OH, Yeah.

At this point SweetPea called her father in law, and her husband. They arrived home at about the same time the TWO SHINY RED firetrucks did.

Apparently their is nothing but a car skeleton and a very charred road where the truck once stood.

SweetPea's husband wondered out loud to his father if this were "grounds for eviction" but instead SweetPea's in laws took her out to dinner. After all, she was distraught after single handedly TORCHING their car!

And though I don't think I've ever actually destroyed anything of my in-laws, I think this was a hands down victory in the "My in-laws are better than your in-laws" competition.

Today. I admit defeat.

3 comment(s):

  • Ack! What a story! Good thing she has good in-laws. Phew! Cool t-shirt quilt. I had a poster with the same pic of Michael Jackson-- hard to believe now!

    By Blogger Kate, at 3/22/2005 03:36:00 PM  

  • Yah, but did you have the album where his is playing with the two baby snow tigers on the cover? I did.

    I talked to one of my coworkers this morning about the incredible exploding pickup. She said she heard something in the new recently about a spate of Ford pickups bursting into flames and burning people and houses up. She said that, like in this incidence, the trucks caught fire after they had been driven and then shut off. Do you know if this was a Ford too?


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 3/23/2005 01:22:00 PM  

  • Flames On Reaching Destination?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/23/2005 03:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home